Re: Frames and Documents (fwd)

On Sun, 8 Sep 1996 lee@sq.com wrote:

> Stephanos Piperoglou <spip@hol.gr> wrote:
> > The glitch in Netscape's spec is that it specifies the frameset document,
> > but affter you load it all you get is it's name stuck in a URL (since
> > there is no way to specify a URL that contains all frames), in your "View
> > Source" option, and on your display.  No way to reference anything except
> > the initial documents
>
> You are right, Stephanos.  Frames also create a problem for bookmarks.
> But it might not be possible to jump directly into the middle of a series
> of frames -- they may be generated by CGI programs, for example.

This is almost never the problem. Anyway, there are very few documents that
shouldn't be referenced directly (usually on poorly designed sites...) and
most framed documents don't fall into that category. Even when CGI programs
release info, it's possible to either replicate the query string on the URL
in the anchor or create a pseudo-form with HIDDEN inputs for a
POST-activated cgi binary.

== Stephanos Piperoglou = spip@hol.gr = http://users.hol.gr/~spip/ ==
 If my opinions were my employers', they'd be pretty wierd opinions.
"I want peace on earth and good will toward man"
"We're the United States Government, we don't do that sort of thing!"
                           - Whistler and Abbot from `Sneakers'

                                            ...oof porothika! (tm)