Re: PROPOSAL FOR A MULTI-COLUMN SELECT ELEMENT WITHIN A FORM

A question, and two thoughts?

If PRE formatting (fixed-width, preservation of whitespace, etc) passed
through to FORM input element text content (INPUT and SELECT), would this
provide the required MSELECT funcionality?  IF so, then this might be
an easier implementation path.

I do like the idea of using Java applets to render complex FORM-like
interfaces, but note the major problems this approach would present for
users with non-graphical browsers. This may be a small minority of users
but not one I wish not to ignore.

Instead, I believe it would be best to establish an easy-to-author form
interface description language (perhaps as part of HTML). There is then
no reason one  browser could not render FORM element-like content using
an applet or a java-based plugin module,  while another uses some other
mechanism to do so (e.g. another java plugin, designed for another interface,
or a coded-in interpreter, as is done now). This would be a bit like the
so-called "HTML Layout Controls" that Microsoft implements using ActiveX,
but more flexible in terms of the interface.

Ian
--
Ian Graham ............................................ ian.graham@utoronto.ca
Information Commons                                          Tel: 416-978-4548