Re: Enhancements to FORMs

Marc Salomon (marc@ckm.ucsf.edu)
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 10:21:45 -0700

From: "Marc Salomon" <marc@ckm.ucsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 10:21:45 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Enhancements to FORMs

Simon Cox wrote:
|I suggested a few myself a while ago even (sliders/dials, multi-click
|windows, and cascading/pull-right selection windows).

The silence from those closely involved with the evolution of HTML in response
to repeated requests for basic enhancements to forms has been deafening.

For many reasons--security, encumberance and software expertise cost-of-entry
for the average web application developer--netscripting is not going to address
all of the shortcomings of forms' efforts to provide a generic, transplatform
interface to the GUI.

Do the proponents of Java have enough leverage at the W3C to stifle parallel
development of HTML idioms that mirror Java functionality?

-marc