Re: <IMAGE>? <TT> == <I>? toHell(NS)

Drazen Kacar wrote:
> There is a question of the scope of that flag. In Cougar DTD you'll
find

> <!ENTITY % font "TT | I | B  | U | S | BIG | SMALL | SUB | SUP">
> <!ENTITY % text "#PCDATA | %font | %phrase | %special | %form">
> <!ELEMENT (%font|%phrase) - - (%text)*>
>
> which means that "<I>here <I>is</I> italics</I>" is perfectly legal
and all of
> it should be rendered in italics. You'll need a stack machine for
that, but
> you need it for style sheets anyway.

Seems to me that for tag-instance checking a simple counter would still
allow the close-tag checking of the flag approach. Could not pointers
and counters work for properties as well? As you point out re CSS1,
property values of one tag can change with nesting level of another --
tracked by a tag-instance counter. Not to say stacks wouldn't need to
be maintained, just that a "stack machine" implies a rather one-sided
approach.

David Perrell