Re: <IMAGE>? <TT> == <I>? toHell(NS)

David Perrell (davidp@earthlink.net)
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 00:27:20 -0800

From: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
To: "Drazen Kacar" <Drazen.Kacar@public.srce.hr>
Cc: <preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com>, <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: <IMAGE>? <TT> == <I>? toHell(NS)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 00:27:20 -0800

Drazen Kacar wrote:
> Hmmm... You can have italics on via style sheet and if </I> is a
valid way
> to turn it off than some people will have minor problems with
expressing
> this in DTD, I think. :)

Yeah, I suppose that was an overly simplistic way of expressing
implementation strategy. But we're talking broken markup, and I'm
arguing that NSN's "guessing" gives fuzzy logic a bad name.

If the italic attribute is turned on via some other means than the <I>
tag then </I> certainly shouldn't turn it off. In a non-guessing
implementation, the <I> tag -- whatever style is associated with it --
could set a "state flag" when it is encountered and the flag could be
unset when the </I> tag is encountered. If the </I> tag is encountered
and the state flag for <I> is unset, do nothing. If the <I> tag is
encountered and the state flag is already set, do nothing. Just a
thought.

I wonder if NSN's behavior with _valid_ HTML can be expressed in a DTD.

David Perrell