Re: Tables in text browsers...

Carl Morris (
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 14:23:57 -0500

From: "Carl Morris" <>
To: "Dan Delaney" <>
Cc: "WWW HTML List" <>
Subject: Re: Tables in text browsers...
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 14:23:57 -0500

|    Why is it that none of the text browsers (Lynx and Charlotte come
| mind) support Tables? I see no reason why they shouldn't. Text can be

| just as easily displayed in rows and columns on a monospaced 80x24
| as it can on a Graphical browser using proportionally spaced text.
| text browser could simply ignore attributes like size specifications
| pixels. It could, however, use the percentage size specs.
|    Why doesn't Lynx support tables?

Lynx supports tables. Its not what I expected, but it does make Lynx
(2.5+) render tables better than most other text browsers (and
graphical ones) that don't support them at all.

A text based browser could even use the pixel values ... just assume a
common ratio of say 8 pixels per character cell ... typical for these
fancy screen fonts in graphical clients...