Re: Netscape 4.0 press release at their server

At 2:10p -0700 10/24/96, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>At 1:25p -0700 10/24/96, David Perrell wrote:
>
>>It still seems to me that the only need for a central registry of file
>>type codes that are distinct for every version is in deference to the
>>MacOS. And not a good idea.
>
>Huh? I think IANA would disagree...

I just re-read that. "for every version" -- where'dja get the idea that
Mac file types are registered for different versions? While Microsoft
chose to do that with 'XLS3', 'XLS4' instead of just 'XLS ', there's
nothing that says they had to. PICT1 and PICT2 are both type 'PICT',
for example. It's up to the developer. Frankly, I don't understand why
Microsoft changed the file type, since it stores the info internally.
Perhaps they only did that to reference new icons... :)