Re: The Final Word on Browsers and the Future

Peter Flynn (pflynn@curia.ucc.ie)
22 Oct 1996 12:08:20 +0100

Date: 22 Oct 1996 12:08:20 +0100
From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Subject: Re: The Final Word on Browsers and the Future
To: www-html@w3.org

> Well, clearly we all have different expectations of the Net.  I almost
> always expect and need to see graphical information when I go to a Web
> site - I'm usually looking for kinds of information that simply cannot
> be presented usefully any other way (e.g., maps, screen shots).

I've lost count of the times I've gone to a site that I am planning to
visit in the flesh shortly, looking for a map to show me my way round,
and there's only text giving the CEO's latest all-pull-together speech;
and equally the sites that I've opened up, looking for some usable text
for a report perhaps, only to find vast JPEG imagemapped aerial shots
of the factory/campus and a lot of colored buttons -- and not a word of
text in sight.

I guess it's the newness of the medium still, after all these years.

BTW, what is a suitable punishment for people who use the word "sight"
when they mean "site"? :-)

///Peter