RE: Appearance and Content

Peter Flynn writes:
 ----------
From:  Peter Flynn[SMTP:curia.ucc.ie!pflynn@uunet]
Sent:  Saturday, October 19, 1996 4:39 PM
To:  jaobrien
Cc:  www-html
Subject:  RE: The Netscape / Microsoft / Future Quagmire

>This is because you design your pages with appearance only in mind.
>Many of us design pages for _content_, which needs to transcend
>appearance if it is to prove durable and persistent. I cannot afford
>the luxury (and nor can my clients) of restricting their market to
>users of a specific browser.

I do not design my pages with appearance in mind -- it's content first
(believe me, I'm a free-lance writer as well as web designer and I know

what's important) and then appearance -- however, I do give great weight

to appearance as well -- let me give you an example of a situation :

You're walking around hungry as can be and decide you want a nice chicken

sandwich and fries -- you walk up and see two restaurants -- both have
signs outside saying how great their chicken sandwiches and fry specials

are and they are both charging the same price for this entire meal -- so

your decision has to be made on appearance.   You open to the door to
Restaurant #1 -- the floors are dirty, there are only a couple of seats

so the place looks very barren, the place smells bad, smoke fills the
air, and the rating sheet shows a 52.  You close the door.

You open the door to Restaurant #2 -- a person is there to greet you
right away -- the air smells good, there are plenty of seats, light music

is playing the background, the place is spotless, and the rating on the

sheet shows a 99.

Now you tell me which restaurant you choose.

No different with web pages -- it's a known fact that people have a
better chance of exploring your web site if it's appearance "grabs" them

 -- when you're dealing with corporate sites and competition, that's a
very important thing.   A potential customer will get a good feeling
going to a page designed by a company that has an interesting style, is

designed with nice graphics, offers a lot of new features, AND of course

offers a lot of good textual detail of their products and services.
  When choosing a certain company, they are more likely to quickly leave

a page which contains only text, and stays behind the times.
As another example, imagine being a manager trying to hire someone for a
very important position -- two people apply -- both are highly qualified
and can fulfill the requirements of the job --

Person #1's resume looks something like this:

Resume of Personks #1
I am lookingfora job as listed intherhecent newspaireseeexperience belwie
 --

Even forgetting the spelling errors, if the text was not formatted
properly, how would you ever pick this one?   Now if the other one had

Sorry for the food example -- it must be time for lunch..

Jason O'Brien
jaobrien@fttnet.com