Re: RE : The Final Word on Browsers and the Future

Robert P Cunningham (bob@lava.net)
Mon, 21 Oct 96 08:23 WET

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 96 08:23 WET
From: bob@lava.net (Robert P Cunningham)
To: abigail@ny.fnx.com, preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com
Subject: Re: RE : The Final Word on Browsers and the Future
Cc: www-html@w3.org

>To ask a question I asked before, do you think it offensive (in the
>sense that started this discussion) that TV programs display notices at
>the beginning saying they are in color and/or have stereo sound and/or
>closed-captioning, even though some people lack the technology to enjoy
>those features?

Efforts to establish a national HDTV standard have stalled recently.
It's entirely likely that several different HDTV technologies will
come into use, each pushed by different vendors...some entirely
proprietary.  We may well see programs with notices such as:  "This
program best viewed with a Sony TV set".