Re: W3C Object draft; ideological/semantic issue

| From: Subir Grewal <grewals@acf2.NYU.EDU>
| To: HTML Discussion List <www-html@w3.org>
| Subject: W3C Object draft; ideological/semantic issue
| Date: Saturday, October 19, 1996 1:35 PM

| What I'm concerned about is that the examples as they stand
legitimize
| such statements as "Your browser doesn't support java, get the
| latest-greatest-browser 54.36 beta NOW!".  Which is something we've
been
| considering here for a while as well.  I don't think we need to
encourage
| such statements.  Even something like "Some useful alternative text
here"
| would be better than "Your client does not support java
applications".

Your concern is valid, but I think the reason is that OBJECT is to only
be used for content, if your JAVA applet isn't "content" (of which can
not usually be replaced with something less) then it probably doesn't
belong even when the browser can display it...  Weak point I know, it
becomes a content battle....  but sometimes I think that's the point
the W3C is trying to make.