Re: Spyglass HTML Validator 1.0 Availability

Murray Altheim (
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:04:27 -0500

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:04:27 -0500
To: Peter Flynn <>
From: (Murray Altheim)
Subject: Re: Spyglass HTML Validator 1.0 Availability

Peter Flynn <> writes:
>   There are no Netscape DTDs, at least that I'm aware of. If you're speaking
>The two included in HTML Pro were taken from links off the W3C's
>pages. I'm appending both.

I'm aware of this W3C DTD, but as I mentioned before, I don't believe that
Mark or Dan or you or I can create an authoritive DTD for Netscape. A
reverse- engineered (even completely functional) Netscape DTD is one thing,
but to support a DTD not authored by Netscape in a commercial product is
something different.

I'm hoping we'll eventually see an ownerID of "-//Netscape//" someday. Yes,
I'm perhaps being overly optimistic.

    Murray Altheim, Program Manager
    Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
    email: <>
    http:  <>
           "Give a monkey the tools and he'll eventually build a typewriter."