Re: Internationalized CLASS attributes -Reply

Charles Peyton Taylor (
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 23:09:23 -0800

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 23:09:23 -0800
From: Charles Peyton Taylor <>
Subject:  Re: Internationalized CLASS attributes -Reply

>> Martin Bryan <> 10/17/96 01:00am >>>
>There is another side to this problem as well. Suppose I put  class=name as an
>attribute and a Frenchman puts class=nom.
>Sematically these are the same, but there is no way that case conversion will
>to determine this.
>What we really need is something, like the RFCs relating to REV and REL, which
>suggest a set of useful class names that could be applied by anyone,
>of their country of origin. Admittedly most people would not then be able to
>their native language to name such transportable classes, but the up-side would
>that they would be able to identify information of the class they require
>having to search for all the possible names for the class.

So why not have elements for this? For example, <name>, <person>, etc?
Tag soup is no more a mess than tag-and-attribute soup, IMHO.

Furthermore, having to use "internationally standarized" classes for an
element would keep us from using our own classes on the same element.

Charles Taylor

>Martin Bryan
>Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK  Phone/Fax: +44
>714029   WWW home page:

C  h a r l e s    P e y t o n   T a y l o r
The opinions and views expressed are my own and do not reflect those of
the Naval PostGraduate School

                       "Dreams are like water, colorless, and dangerous"