Re: The Netscape / Microsoft / Future Quagmire

David Perrell (
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 20:49:12 -0700

From: "David Perrell" <>
To: "Benjamin Franz" <>
Cc: "'www'" <>
Subject: Re: The Netscape / Microsoft / Future Quagmire
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 20:49:12 -0700

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> lynx really needs to implement TABLE...). Do my pages look *best* on
> and MSIE 3.0?  Damn straight they do. Do I annoy people uselessly
> 'get NS/MSIE 3.0' buttons and 'Looks better in browser of the week'
> labels? Not on your life. The people who *have* those browsers
> know it looks nice in them. Those who have other browsers are not
going to
> switch just because I say so - why annoy them?  The pages are usable
> attractive) in nearly any browser.

I agree that "looks best with" makes little sense, especially when the
"with" is platform-specific and some other UA has market share. But if
you feel strongly about getting some feature standardized, you could
use a script on a non-critical page to target a specific non-supporting
browser with something like "These pages really look stunning in
browsers that support [feature]. If you'd like to see what you're
missing, submit a feature request to [mailto address]."

David P