Re: about the OBJECT tab

Fred L. Drake (fdrake@CNRI.Reston.VA.US)
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 09:01:54 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Fred L. Drake" <fdrake@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Subject: Re: about the OBJECT tab
To: Erika Madja <madja@iro.umontreal.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 09:01:54 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: www-html@w3.org

Erika wrote:
> 	Excuse me. I think what I want can be viewed  as a plug-ins.

Erika,
  It does sound like I misunderstood; you're shipping BINARY objects,
or providing remote access to them, while I'm pretty well embedded in
the research community and applets tend to be source code.  (Most,
though not all, of the research/hobby browsers I've seen that support
applets accept source code rather than binary objects.)
  I agree that the OBJECT element should be used for this purpose; I
guess I'd like to see a clear document describing how the attributes
of the element should be interpreted; I'm very uncomfortable with the
example-based description of OBJECT in the WD-object draft.  Perhaps
requiring in the specification that at least one of CLASSID, CODETYPE,
or TYPE be specified would help.
  Sorry for the confusion!

  -Fred

--