Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

Peter Flynn (pflynn@curia.ucc.ie)
30 Nov 1996 22:34:52 +0000 (GMT)

Date: 30 Nov 1996 22:34:52 +0000 (GMT)
From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Subject: Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets
To: walter@natural-innovations.com
Cc: davidp@earthlink.net, www-html@w3.org, www-international@w3.org,

   >What's a florin? I know it's the old UK name for what was two
   >shillings, but Bill obviously means something else here.

   A florin is the curly-descender f like you see in mathematical f(x).

Then that really is a florin: it's the Dutch currency symbol.
I had no idea that Windoze had actually given it its real name :-)

The math f(x) should use just a regular (implied italic) f. To use a
non-f character makes the math harder to parse, as users searching
databases for functions will search for a genuine f, not a NCR.

///Peter