Re: HTML 3.2 PR: Please add CLASS attribute!

Peter Flynn (pflynn@curia.ucc.ie)
30 Nov 1996 00:43:12 +0000 (GMT)

Date: 30 Nov 1996 00:43:12 +0000 (GMT)
From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 PR: Please add CLASS attribute!
To: msftrncs@htcnet.com
Cc: www-html@w3.org

   | Why isn't the CLASS attribute available in HTML 3.2? It is a real
   | pain that you can't use style sheets on documents and keep them
   | HTML 3.2 compliant.

   Welcome, you just saw my light as to why I won't use a validator...  I
   don't think I should have to live by the rules of some DTD...  HTML was

So you don't follow the rules of (say) C++ (or whatever) when you
write programs either? Must be fun.

   an extendable format, then it should be able to be extended without
   requiring a new DTD to understand it...  I wisH validators would go

   "WARNING: unrecognized"

   ranther than

   "ERROR: Get rid of this, you can not use it"

Then go write one.

   they just are not ready to document it...  If you want to validate your
   CSS stuff you have to use a DTD that contains the CSS extensions...

Right. No-one in their right minds should expect 3.2 to be anything
other than a toy.

///Peter