Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

Drazen Kacar (Drazen.Kacar@public.srce.hr)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 03:53:58 +0100 (MET)

From: Drazen.Kacar@public.srce.hr (Drazen Kacar)
Subject: Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets
To: Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it (Dirk.vanGulik)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 03:53:58 +0100 (MET)
Cc: www-html@w3.org, dirkx@elec.jrc.it

Dirk.vanGulik wrote:

> Small bit of text on i18n-html and possible problems with
> the Numerical char-index/code references into a unicode
> rather than the announced charset in HTTP; and the lack
> of signalling out-of-band of this break with current practice.
[...]

Current practice? This is the current practice:

You label your document with Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-2

Then you put &aelig; in your document, for example. And user gets Latin 2
character on the screen instead of Latin 1 &aelig;

This is with Netscape 3.0 and earlier versions. I don't know what MSIE does,
I never managed to learn how to use Windows.

> Some possible solutions are proposed:
[...]

Ask the browser wendors to fix brain damaged behaviour.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

dave@fly.cc.fer.hr
dave@zemris.fer.hr