Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 21:16:21 +0100 (MET)

Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 21:16:21 +0100 (MET)
From: Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
To: Misha Wolf <MISHA.WOLF@reuters.com>
Cc: www-html <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Misha Wolf wrote:

> The following extract from RFC 1866, "Hypertext Markup Language - 2.0" shows
> that legal numeric character references have been based on Unicode for quite
> some time and certainly prior to the I18N draft.

I quite agree here, and I do acknowledge this; but I do insist on current
practice beeing the problem. Doing a quick scan over all reachable pages
linked
in from the webdirectory (www.webdirectory.com) last night; I do find a
substancial number of pages which would be broken. About 7%/4K pages. OF
these about a fifth dates of before RFC1866.

But *AGAIN* I acknowledge that there _should_ be no problems, people
should not have relied on NCRs in the low top bit range; but they have
done so. And if you have easy ways of marking your pages such that you do
not break excising practice, you should do so.

Dw.