Re: printer tags for html 3.x

Carl Morris (msftrncs@htcnet.com)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 00:18:35 -0600

From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
To: "jeff kendall" <jmkendall@chrysler.com>, "WWW HTML List" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: printer tags for html 3.x
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 00:18:35 -0600

| When included on a web page, the tag would cause the browser to break
| the page at the tag.  This allows generation of formatted printed
output
| over the web.  It would be especially useful to those of us doing
| web-database development when we want to generate reports over the
web.
| Today's method is to do 2 dumps, one to an html file for the user's
| browser, and another to another file format such as plain text with
| embedded formfeeds, or rich text format, for the user to download and
| print.

Its also presentation and not content... why should such entities
exist?

Just for the note, since when are your form feeds the best?  I hate
every author who uses a "plain text" document format and embeds form
feeds, thinking this is where my paper ends, so does every one elses...
 mine doesn't (mine is also 13 inches wide, is yours?)