Re: Page v. document (search and agent issue)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:24:21 -0500

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:24:21 -0500
To: Nick Arnett <>,
Subject: Re: Page v. document (search and agent issue)

At 08:15 AM 11/22/96 -0800, Nick Arnett wrote:
>Thus, there's a need to be able to define search and retrieval units that
>are subsets of the HTML page, which I would think is a job for HTML, even
>though it could be done with some sort of external markup.  Is there
>anything happening along those lines?  Named anchors are related, since they
>can give you a pointer to an article contained in a page, but they haven't
>been intended to mark the start and end of a search and retrieval unit.

<DIV CLASS=ARTICLE ID="article.3.4.7">
<H1>HTML already *has* the features people need</H1>
<P>In a surprising development, HTML is found to already support the
features required to tell agents to watch for modifications within a
particular part of an HTML document.

Now tell your agent to look for changes in "article.3.4.7".

 Paul Prescod
Boycott Shell Oil worldwide!

"Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel
said to be holding a watching brief."..."The ecological war that the Company
has waged in the Delta will be called to question sooner than later." -Ken
Saro-Wiwa to the tribunal that later executed him.