Re: HTML 3.2 PR

Stuart Young (nakor@glasswings.com.au)
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 14:21:59 +1100 (EST)

Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 14:21:59 +1100 (EST)
From: Stuart Young <nakor@glasswings.com.au>
To: Jonathan Rosenne <rosenne@NetVision.net.il>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 PR

On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:

> >> declarations, just like I don't want to be forced to TITLE everything I
> >> write (I always hated that in School, now the rest of the world seems
>
> Whatever you did at school is between you and your teachers, classmates and
> parents, and not a matter for this list to discuss. Not putting a TITLE in
> your pages makes you a discourteous public nuisance. A meaningful title
> identifies the page on the task list or whatever the user's operating
> environment provides, and helps him distinguish several concurrent HTML windows.

And since most bookmarks (And search engines) use the Title by default, a
useful title REALLY DOES HELP distinguish what the page is about, and
even where it's located!

Mebbe some additional things should be allowed within the head, eg: an
'over-riding window title', like say, <WINDOW>Your window title
here</WINDOW> could be very useful. Only new browsers would look and use
the tag, but it shouldn't break any current browsers if they're correctly
written.

Also something like adding a home page tag in the head statement, to let
the browser 'know' where the home page for this document is (and offer
say, a little button in the browser so you can go to that home page)
would be useful, but not essential.

| Stuart Young (aka Cefiar)  - You may be human, but you're still animals! |
| nakor@glasswings.com.au - Man is territorial. Violence is our response.  |