HTML 3.2 PR

R. S. van Keuren (rsvk@adnc.com)
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:15:38 -0800

Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:15:38 -0800
From: "R. S. van Keuren" <rsvk@adnc.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: HTML 3.2 PR

I suggest that HMTL 3.2 not make the <!DOCTYPE tag a required tag,
but instead use a simpler syntax, such as <VERSION or <DOCTYPE, or
add an option to an existing tag.

Reason:  <! in HTML indicates a comment.  And should stay a comment.
  There seem to be no other tags in HTML that start with <!.

If a tag is needed to indicate a version, either create a new
simple tag, or create an option to use in an existing tag.

New tag suggestions:
    <VERSION 3.2>  or <VERSION=3.2>
    <DOCTYPE 3.2>  or <DOCTYPE=3.2>

Option to add to existing tag suggestions:
    <HTML VERSION=3.2>

These suggestions are MUCH simpler and clearer than the complicated
<!DOCTYPE examples shown in the proposed standard.

My preference would go to adding a version option to the HTML tag.

Sincerely,

--Robert Steven van Keuren
Senior Analyst
Action Instruments, San Diego