Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax (fwd)

MegaZone (
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:14:01 -0800 (PST)

Subject: RE: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax (fwd)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:14:01 -0800 (PST)
From: MegaZone <>

Once upon a time Jason O'Brien shaped the electrons to say...
>I think the current system is the best option for color designation,
>unless of course a standard is developed to simply list all colors by
>their name, such as <FONT COLOR="red"> -- I would think that having to

All?  256x256x256 = 16,777,216 colors.  You want to name them all?

>come up with hue percentages would be an even more difficult task than
>looking up RGB codes -- is there any kind of support for a standard to
>simply list the color names (and more than the typical basic 16)?

There are already clashes with some early browser releases over the
color names.  As a designer I avoid names completely and use the hex
equivalents.  I think it would be good for any editors to do the same -
even if they present it to the user as 'Bright Red' save the HTML as

Phone: 800-458-9966 510-426-0770 FAX: 510-426-8951
For support requests:  <>
Snail mail: 6920 Koll Center Parkway  #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566