Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax

Chris Lilley (
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:20:51 +0100

From: Chris Lilley <>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:20:51 +0100
To: Jon Knight <>

Jon Knight wrote:

> Well CYMK usually, but the idea of 4xn does raise an interesting point;
> would there ever be a need to specify an alpha channel in the colour
> information to allow transparent and/or translucant blocks of colour?

Hi Jon.

Now you are talking. Yes, there could well be a need. We already have
and graphics which are overlaid over a background color or
texture/image. Transparency is the obvious next step - real variable
translarency, not
some on-off hack.

Not in 3.2, obviously, or even necessarily in the HTML DTD, but HTML
documents might well benefit from an alpha plane.

Chris Lilley, W3C                          [ ]
Graphics and Fonts Guy            The World Wide Web Consortium              INRIA,  Projet W3C                       2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93