Re: HTML 3.2 PR - lists

Chris Lilley (
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:38:40 +0100

From: Chris Lilley <>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 PR - lists
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:38:40 +0100
To: Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU>

Foteos Macrides wrote:

>         Repeated requests in this list, accompanied by sound reasoning,
> that at least PLAIN be restored in the W3C's HTML 3.2 DTD have met with
> unresponsiveness, and, utterly simple though <i>it would be</i> for all
> clients ...

(My italics). Yes, it would be simple, and the reason you used the
tense rather than a past tense is, presumably, that current UAs do not
implement a PLAIN on UL.

Thus, it is not in the HTML 3.2 DTD, nor is other good stuff like
stylesheets - because HTML 3.2 represents a backward looking, current
practice (as of, say, February this year) DTD. It's a formalisation of
where we start from, not where we are going.

Chris Lilley, W3C                          [ ]
Graphics and Fonts Guy            The World Wide Web Consortium              INRIA,  Projet W3C                       2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93