Re: HTML 3.2 PR - lists

Peter Flynn (
13 Nov 1996 02:31:01 +0000 (GMT)

Date: 13 Nov 1996 02:31:01 +0000 (GMT)
From: Peter Flynn <>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 PR - lists

   (And I disagree with Peter: most browsers _do_ "do something
   meaningful" with DIR and MENU -- formatting a menu like a
   bulleted list is a perfectly reasonable interpretation.)

Yes, I should have said something more meaningful than imitating UL.
But you're right about DIR/MENU not containing further list
structures, although I'm not convinced that's A Good Thing.

   This isn't quite the same thing, though.  <UL PLAIN WRAP=HORIZ>
   says "omit the bullets, wrap horizontally."  <DIR> says "format this
   like a directory listing."   I realize that most Web Designers feel

No, DIR says "this is a directory listing". How it's formatted is up
to the implementation, and three ways immediately come to mind.