Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax

Carl Morris (msftrncs@htcnet.com)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:16:40 -0600

From: "Carl Morris" <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
To: "Jason O'Brien" <jaobrien@fttnet.com>, "WWW HTML List" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:16:40 -0600

| I think the current system is the best option for color designation,

| unless of course a standard is developed to simply list all colors by

| their name, such as <FONT COLOR="red"> -- I would think that having
| come up with hue percentages would be an even more difficult task
than
| looking up RGB codes -- is there any kind of support for a standard
| simply list the color names (and more than the typical basic 16)?

100,0,0 is max red, whether you have 10 shades of red, or 100,000,000.
But 50.77454585990396,0,0 describes a more specific RED shade on those
systems that do support 100,000,000 shades of red ...  this is where a
percent could be beneficial... currently, there are 255 shades between
each current standard's shade than can not be represented on 16bit
hardware with the current method.

(I use shade, I should say intensity...)