Re: HTML 3.2 PR TEXTAREA WRAP attribute

Jim Wise (jw250@columbia.edu)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:28:51 -0500 (EST)

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:28:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Jim Wise <jw250@columbia.edu>
To: WWW HTML List <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 PR TEXTAREA WRAP attribute

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Benjamin Franz wrote:
[ annoying line wrap removed ]

> Got a headache yet? The point is that it can be *VERY* important
> that a server know where the browser wrapped the lines. And
> *whether or not* it goes into the 3.2 DTD, professional designers know
> this and will continue to use WRAP=HARD to reduce the number of
> unexpected surprises.

No, because professional desiners (what a snobbisha nd silly thing to write,
really) will not write pages that depend on non-standard behavior or elements
which might be supported by one or two browsers.

>                                                          Believe me - I
> *KNOW* what I am doing when I use forms and *still* get bitten by the
> 'browser and server disagree on where the end of lines are' problem.

And will continue to, as long as you assume that all browsers implement the
non-standard elements and behavior you have grown to love are in every
browser.

> expected? No. But is is clearly an improvement over line breaks almost
> _never_ occur where expected.

No, it is not.  You will still get a considerable amount of input from browsers
which do not support the new behavior, so you still won't be able to count on it
being there.

--
				Jim Wise
				System Administrator