Re: HTML 3.2 PR TEXTAREA WRAP attribute

Jim Wise (
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:28:51 -0500 (EST)

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:28:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Jim Wise <>
To: WWW HTML List <>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 PR TEXTAREA WRAP attribute

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Benjamin Franz wrote:
[ annoying line wrap removed ]
> Got a headache yet? The point is that it can be *VERY* important
> that a server know where the browser wrapped the lines. And
> *whether or not* it goes into the 3.2 DTD, professional designers know
> this and will continue to use WRAP=HARD to reduce the number of
> unexpected surprises.

No, because professional desiners (what a snobbisha nd silly thing to write,
really) will not write pages that depend on non-standard behavior or elements
which might be supported by one or two browsers.

>                                                          Believe me - I
> *KNOW* what I am doing when I use forms and *still* get bitten by the
> 'browser and server disagree on where the end of lines are' problem.

And will continue to, as long as you assume that all browsers implement the
non-standard elements and behavior you have grown to love are in every

> expected? No. But is is clearly an improvement over line breaks almost
> _never_ occur where expected.

No, it is not.  You will still get a considerable amount of input from browsers
which do not support the new behavior, so you still won't be able to count on it
being there.

				Jim Wise
				System Administrator
				GSAPP, Columbia University