Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax

James Aylett (sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:44:24 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:44:24 +0000 (GMT)
From: James Aylett <sja20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To: Carl Morris <msftrncs@htcnet.com>
cc: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>, WWW HTML List <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax

> | 	   <BODY BGCOLOR="100%,100%,100%"> (range 0%-100%)
> |
> | For this you'd need to specify what the percentages are, hue or
> | saturation, wouldn't you?
>
> You would have to assume that they are R G and B intensities. Just like
> all the others.  But you would have to state that decimal points are
> requiered by the apps, since a scale of 1 to 100 is not very big
> compared to 1 to 255...

This is an interesting point; there is little reason (I am absolutely
convinced that it's easier to see balanced RGB colours in hex than
decimal, but maybe that's just because I prefer numbers which can be
divided by two further) for alternative syntaxes for the RGB values.
However something more subtle would be far more useful in extending the
web as a publishing medium; define syntax somewhere along the lines of:

RffGffBff - RGB values in hex
R100%G100%B100% - RGB values in percentages (just to please the few ...)

Given the R,G,B delimiters it would be possible to add other colour
models; CMYK, HSV etc. From the point of view of using the web to publish
documents originally designer for printing this would make for easier
conversion; in addition to this many graphics and painting packages
support these colour models because they are (in general) easier for
artists, printers or whatever to think in than the light-mixing RGB model.

If we're going to extend the accepted syntax, at least let's do it
usefully rather than just adding random hacks whenever anyone has an idea.
The old #rrggbb format could easily be kept for backwards compatability.

James

  James Aylett - Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk): BBS, Ftp and Web
     Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk -- (0976) 212023