Re: HTML 3.2 PR color value syntax

> HTML 3.2 defines COLOR as CDATA, so you can put pretty much anything
> you like in there. What you're asking for is a recommendation on
> what browsers should support in there.

	I see, so what I would suggest is that this new syntax
be encouraged the way the #RRGGBB syntax is encouraged in the
HTML 3.2 proposal. The proposal says:

	"Colors are given in the sRGB color space as hexadecimal numbers"

	But at http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Printing/motta/W3Color.html
I see no indication of any particular supported color syntax in sRGB.

> 	   * Popular graphics tools do not support this format.
>
> That's simply not true.

	OK, name three major Mac/PC graphics programs that support
it. I named three major ones that don't.

>    I have been asking for this change publically ever since Netscape
>    implemented the syntax.
>
> I must have missed your posts on the html-wg mailing list over the
> last two years.

	True. :) I speak more than I write...

> 	   <BODY BGCOLOR="100%,100%,100%"> (range 0%-100%)
>
> For this you'd need to specify what the percentages are, hue or
> saturation, wouldn't you?

	Right, this should be RGB as well. This is really only
for Macintosh compatibility. This percentage syntax is not anywhere
near as important as the RGB integer syntax, IMHO, but since most
people use Macs to design Web art these days...

> Please don't blame HTML for the deficiencies of the browsers. No
> change is needed to the HTML 3.2 DTD to achieve this: it;s the browser
> makers who need to implement it.

	I won't then, but in that case, where are such browser
implementation standards defined? Do you mean that the whole state
of things is that I can write HTML that two browsers validate perfectly
with the same DTD and have it completely break in one and not in the
other? :) :)

	-- Kevin

--
Kevin Hughes * kevinh@eit.com * http://www.eit.com/~kevinh/
Hypermedia Industrial Designer * VeriFone Internet Commerce * icd.verifone.com