Re: Document Indexing -- How to index Dynamic Content?

Stuart Young (nakor@glasswings.com.au)
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:27:30 +1100 (EST)

Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:27:30 +1100 (EST)
From: Stuart Young <nakor@glasswings.com.au>
To: Ian Graham <ianweb@smaug.java.utoronto.ca>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Document Indexing -- How to index Dynamic Content?

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Ian Graham wrote:

> This means an HTML-based mechanism for indicating the status of
> blocks of the document. In the following I describe two possible
> mechanisms for doing this.  One requires no changes to HTML --
> just an agreed upon semantic for an attribute value. The second
> requires a simple change to HTML, with the benefit of providing
> somewhat greater information content.  In both cases, I assume
> that the default behavior of an indexing tool is to index the
> document content, provided the document is delivered with an
> 'appropriate' HTTP last-modified: response header field.

I suggested earlier the idea of using <OBJECT> to allow 'client-side'
includes. This allows for much of what you ask, as the main document
itself does not change at all (if it is stable) whereas the actual
includes and/or CGI scripts that produce html 'fragments' are still
retrieved by the standard mechanism.

For it to work, there needs to be a few things done.

1> The introduction of this sort of handling at a browser level. By using
<OBJECT> you can include things like 'links' to fully created dynamic
pages 'if' the browser cannot support it, within the <OBJECT> tags, as
<OBJECT> simply ignores them.

2> Possibly the creation of a new MIME type for such fragments
(text/html-fragment) so that it's understood exactly 'what' you are
retrieving (how else will <OBJECT> know if it's a fragment or a full HTML
file it's retrieving, and how will the browser know how to treat it.

3> People need to use the damn thing!

Then with something like this...

<OBJECT SRC='http://www.something.com/test.frag' MIME='text/html-fragment'>
<A HREF='http://www.something.com/test.frag.html>This page is a test</A>
</OBJECT>

You get full object support, without dropping your users in an endless pit.

PS: This is just me making a point, I know that the way I've shown object
above is totally 'wrong'. It's only intended to show 'how' it's intended
to work.

PPS: The file 'test.frag.html' is simply a header and footer with a server
side include in the middle pointing to 'test.frag'. Simple to manage once
it's set up, which you'd prolly agree is very simple to do. You could
even get a CGI script to figure out what is being requested, and do the
header, footer and include all itself.

| Stuart Young (aka Cefiar)  - You may be human, but you're still animals! |
| nakor@glasswings.com.au - Man is territorial. Violence is our response.  |