Re: CSS1 override question

Chris Wilson (cwilso@MICROSOFT.com)
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:10:55 -0800

From: "Chris Wilson (PSD)" <cwilso@MICROSOFT.com>
To: "'Peter Flynn'" <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>,
Cc: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: RE: CSS1 override question
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 10:10:55 -0800

The main problem is that right now, the CSS spec considers <LINK
REL=STYLESHEET HREF=x> stylesheets to be mutually exclusive; that is to
say, you can only select (through user intervention) one at a time.  It
was important for us to enable automatically-applied linked stylesheets
without the use of a STYLE block (for downlevel client purposes), so
LINK stylesheets are automatically applied.

The reason why I mention this is that it is my understanding that <LINK>
tags are supposed to be free of any semantics based on order - it's not
supposed to matter what order they're in.  Obviously, in Internet
Explorer 3.0, it does in this case.

If you're talking about @imported stylesheets in CSS, Peter's completely
right.

	-Chris