Re: Math Formatting

Peter Flynn (pflynn@curia.ucc.ie)
05 Nov 1996 12:13:05 +0000 (GMT)

Date: 05 Nov 1996 12:13:05 +0000 (GMT)
From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Subject: Re: Math Formatting
To: astmgr@uk.ibm.com
Cc: www-html@w3.org

   What is the current state of Math formatting for HTML ?

There are one or two math-enabled browsers, notably IBM's own.

   What is the best available method of getting SGML tagged Math converted
   to a form that can be incorporated into an HTML page ?

There is not a lot of congruence between (for example) 12083 and HTML
math, so I think this is not easy. Right now your safest way is push
it through TeX and make GIFs.

I included HTML3 math with one or two small cleanups to content models
in HTML Pro, but I noted that the jury was still out on math, and I'm
open to suggestions. I hope to be discussing it with people at SGML'96.

///Peter