Re: OBJECT: inserting textual "objects" into HTML.

Carl Morris (
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 19:21:57 -0600

From: "Carl Morris" <>
To: <>
Subject: Re: OBJECT: inserting textual "objects" into HTML.
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 19:21:57 -0600

| Wouldn't it be better as text/plain, and restricting the output of
| the script to unmarked text. Or does the whole idea imply we need a
| new type text/insert or text/fragment?

Or text/html-insert ...

I guess the main problem keeps coming back, is it a full HTML document,
or just a fragment...  define it....  full documents can only be
inserted via IFRAME or FRAME(s)... only fragments can be inserted via

I would really like to see this one happen, however, there is still one
thing not being supported:

OBJECT "image counter"
   OBJECT "text counter"
	Fall back text here right?

How can one dynamically create the fall back text? say for browers that
can display ALT text as popup baloons?  Ie: An image based counter
should be able to place the count as a TEXT part such as ALT text...  I
don't know if this will even be possible though... its awfully