Re: The Netscape / Microsoft / Future Quagmire

Hakon Lie (howcome@w3.org)
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 20:19:32 +0100 (MET)

Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 20:19:32 +0100 (MET)
To: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: The Netscape / Microsoft / Future Quagmire
From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>

Peter Flynn writes:

 >    That's correct.  Microsoft are, as far as I was aware, members of the
 >    W3C although I don't know exactly when they joined and whether that was in
 >    time to have any input on CSS or not.
 >
 > I think (but am happy to be corrected) that Hakon did the work on CSS
 > while he was still at CERN...

The work on CSS was started at CERN and a first draft was published in
October 94 [1]. W3C was being formed around the same time. Arround a
year later, we had a workshop on style sheets in Paris [2] and this
was where commercial interest first showed up.

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/People/howcome/p/cascade.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/951106_Workshop/

Regards,

-h&kon

H      k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria # FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome