Re: Need a new DTD for style sheets

Lee Daniel Crocker (lee@piclab.com)
Thu, 30 May 1996 13:05:36 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Re: Need a new DTD for style sheets
To: CTaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil (Charles Peyton Taylor)
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 13:05:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Lee Daniel Crocker" <lcrocker@calweb.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
From: Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com>

> Microsoft is releasing a beta of internet Explorer 3.0,
> which they claim supports style sheets (I don't have
> Windows '95 right now so I can't test this out.)
> This means that style sheets are less of a rarely-
> supported, unstable feature and more of a reality
> on the web.

I'll verify it for you: it does indeed support style
sheets with CSS1 notation (not all of it, I hear--
but I tested the basic stuff).

It does not support PNG, and worse, it sends an
Accept header with only "*/*", so content-negotiated
images like those on W3's own site aren't displayed,
even though GIFs are available.

It does not support Java.  "Summer" they say.

It does support JavaScript, <frameset>, and MS's
own weird stuff like VBScript and ActiveX.