Re: Font-style vs. phrase elements

Matthew James Marnell (marnellm@portia.portia.com)
Mon, 27 May 1996 19:14:23 -0400

To: rnewman@cybercom.net (Ron Newman)
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Font-style vs. phrase elements
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 19:14:23 -0400
From: Matthew James Marnell <marnellm@portia.portia.com>

Sorry, I'm catching up here.

:>A properly designed search or index tool should skip over <FONT> tags
:>just as it now skips over <B> or <EM> tags.

Whoa.  A properly designed search of index tool should not skip over
<EM> or <STRONG> but should skip over <B> or <I>, no?  I thought
that was the whole point of <EM> and <STRONG>, to be content markup
regardless of outward presentation.  If the current wisdom about
a properly designed search or index tool is to ignore <EM> and <STRONG>
then someone has missed the boat, me or whoever defines properly
designed search and index tools.

Matt