Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

Dave Carter (
Wed, 22 May 1996 10:06:09 +0100 (BST)

Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 10:06:09 +0100 (BST)
From: Dave Carter <>
To: "Robert S. Thau" <>
Subject: Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

On Tue, 21 May 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> Unfortunately, if I'm not mistaken, this particular applet carries
> with it the disadvantages of the HTML3 math proposal (in particular,
> its equations largely specify presentation, and aren't in a form which
> would allow a symbolic math package to manipulate them easily)...
> rst

I am sorry I don't see this as a disadvantage, just a difference in
requirements for different applications. I need to be able to present
mathematical expressions and equations, I don't need to be able to
manipulate them. In this respect the current <math> is fine for me,
the only problem is it needs a few more symbols (basically a complete
set of TeX symbols).

Dave Carter