prosposal: addition of type attribute to <link>

Charles Peyton Taylor (
Tue, 21 May 1996 17:29:04 -0800

Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 17:29:04 -0800
From: Charles Peyton Taylor <>
Subject:  prosposal: addition of type attribute to <link>

In the CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) draft [1], use of
the link element is shown as such:

      HREF="" TITLE="Cool">

Problem: this does not validate under the Wilbur DTD. [2]

It seems that if it were valid under whatever DTD
is next, then the transition to style sheets would
be much smoother, since validated documents utilizing
CSS would be already be out on the web when browsers
that support it arrive.

The Wilbur DTD shows the attributes of link as such:

        id      ID      #IMPLIED    -- SGML ID attribute --
        href    %URL    #IMPLIED    -- URL for linked resource --
        rel     %Types  #IMPLIED    -- forward link types --
        rev     %Types  #IMPLIED    -- reverse link types --
        title   CDATA   #IMPLIED    -- advisory title string --

I propose that the following be added:

        type    %Content-Type #IMPLIED    -- MIME Content type --

I'm *reasonably* sure that type would be defined as
"%Content-Type".  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, as it's been said before, it would be worthwhile
if the CLASS attribute were added to all other elements
in HTML.

Is it worthwhile for me to have written this message?
I don't know, really.  The more I think about it, the
more I think that others on this list could have probably
done a better write-up of the DTD part. OTOH, perhaps
the lack of type in the link was overlooked, and this
message will draw attention.

C  h a r l e s    P e y t o n   T a y l o r

The opinions and views expressed       ##  even though we're on
our own,

are my own and do not reflect          ##        we are never all

Those of the Naval PostGraduate School ##  when we are singing,