Re: DIV/CLASS: Mike Wexler: Re: HTML 3.2

On Thu, 16 May 1996 09:33:16 -0400, "Dave Raggett" <dsr@w3.org> wrote:
> > So just because neither Netscape nor Microsoft got around to implementing
> > JUSTIFY we don't get it? Somehow this doesn't strike me as very desirable.
>
> We will only get browsers with support for text justification if people
> are prepared to put in considerable effort and expense into developing
> and widely deploying browsers with this feature.

I don't see how we can get browsers with support for text justification
if the HTML DTD doesn't even support it. Why not put it in? I mean, that
doesn't *force* any browser vendor to implement it. If Netscape and
Microsoft don't feel like putting in the effort, they don't have to. But
at least put it in HTML 3.2 so that those who do find it worth the effort
are at least rewarded with valid HTML. I really don't see how it can hurt.

> To get high quality
> results this would have to be combined with hyphenation.

Probably, but do you think HTML should be concerned with hyphenation?

Marcus
--
Marcus E. Hennecke
marcush@crc.ricoh.com        http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~marcush/