Re: DIV/CLASS: Mike Wexler: Re: HTML 3.2

Benjamin Franz (snowhare@netimages.com)
Wed, 15 May 1996 13:09:01 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 13:09:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Benjamin Franz <snowhare@netimages.com>
To: Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <galactus@stack.urc.tue.nl>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: DIV/CLASS: Mike Wexler: Re: HTML 3.2

On Wed, 15 May 1996, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
> In article <199605142148.AA026890508@w3.org>,
> "Dave Raggett" <dsr@w3.org> wrote:
> > This is fine for the forthcoming version of HTML which supports
> > style sheets. HTML 3.2 on the other hand captures the state of
> > HTML as deployed in early `96.  ID and CLASS are therefore not
> > part of HTML 3.2.
>
> For what definition of "deployed"? Why aren't the *deployed* attributes
> SRC and PLAIN in the HTML 3.2 drafts? Lynx 2.5, UdiWWW and Emacs-W3
> support them, at least.

In the last 20.3 million (actual logged hits since Nov. 1st) on a popular
site I maintain, there have been ZERO hits by lynx 2.5 (75,437 hits by all
other versions of lynx), ZERO hits by UdiWWW (all versions) and 150 hits
by Emacs-W3 (all versions). By any rational standard, features in
supported only in UdiWWW, Emacs-W3 and lynx 2.5 cannot be identified as
deployed.

--
Benjamin Franz
"But my homebrew browser no one has ever seen supports the