Re: What's wrong with <FONT>?

S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun, 12 May 1996 14:21:24 +0100 (BST)

From: S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: Re: What's wrong with <FONT>?
To: mudws@mail.olemiss.edu (Warren Steel)
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 14:21:24 +0100 (BST)
Cc: preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com, www-html@w3.org

Warren Steel wrote:

>     Scott, I don't see how you can have it both ways.  If <FONT> is
> a useful stopgap, till Stylesheets are deployed, then it must "work"
> properly *now*, in current browsers.  I've already demonstrated that
> it doesn't.  Current browsers do not allow users to disable font sizes,
> which blows off the sight-impaired and those with small displays.
> Current browsers do not allow users to disable font colors, which
> blows off the colorblind and those who happen to have set their own
> background colors.

I put in an option in my browser to "Disable Netscape extensions", which
does stop all those font colour and size changes.  I find using Netscape
that the small (ie. size=1 or size=2) fonts are unreadable in the default
UNIX/X configuration, whilst they remain perfectly readable on mine thanks
to the (OS-provided) font anti-aliasing. :-/

--
Stewart Brodie, Electronics & Computer Science, Southampton University.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~snb94r/      http://delenn.ecs.soton.ac.uk/