Bandwidth (fwd)

MegaZone (
Fri, 10 May 1996 19:27:46 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Bandwidth (fwd)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 19:27:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: MegaZone <>

Once upon a time Shawn Steele shaped the electrons to say...
>Also headers and footers of pages are often similar or identical.  Our
>standard footer is about 1K and appears in only a few variations on the
>each hundreds of pages we have.  I know nothing about SGML and whether
>something like this would be permitted, but it would be really nice to
>have an HTML <include> tag so that this section could be cached
>seperatly by the browser.  1K per page can add up on both the server &
>client ends.

I wrote to the head of the <OBJECT> group some time ago after reading the
spec (just before it was renamed) since I notice the seemingly arbitrary
ability to specify MIME types.

So I thought text/html would be valid - meaning the ability to embed one
HTML doc (liek a footer) in another - viola, client side includes.

He said there is certainly no reason that couldn't be done.  So I guess
we'll have to see how it gets implemented.

Dan, can you bring this up in the working group?

Although I work for Livingston Enterprises Technical Support, I alone am
responsible for everything contained herein.  So don't waste my managers'
time bitching to them if you don't like something I've said.  Flame me.
Phone: 800-458-9966  <>
FAX: 510-426-8951    6920 Koll Center Parkway #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566