Re: What's wrong with <FONT>? was, Netscape invades w3.org!

Fisher Mark (FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com)
Fri, 10 May 96 16:03:00 PDT

From: Fisher Mark <FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com>
To: "'Warren Steel'" <mudws@mail.olemiss.edu>,
Cc: www-html <www-html@www10.w3.org>
Subject: Re: What's wrong with <FONT>? was, Netscape invades w3.org!
Date: Fri, 10 May 96 16:03:00 PDT

>Needless to sy, I think stylesheets are the right way to express this
>information and that FONT is a stopgap measure of limited, short-term
>value.  On the other hand, until stylesheets are available, it's all
>there is...

Unless I am really, really wrong, stylesheets should offer a lot more power
than <FONT>, etc. do now.  Unfortunately, stylesheets weren't ready soon
enough, so we have to live with <FONT> et. al.  Scott is right.

Because of stylesheets power (and because they are coming soon in the major
commercial browsers), I don't see a proliferation of presentational tags, as
stylesheets solve the same problem and better (where better is both "more
structured" and "more powerful").
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com                   Indianapolis, IN