Re: what *I* would do with Wilbur.

Scott E. Preece (
Thu, 9 May 1996 16:57:57 -0500

Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 16:57:57 -0500
From: (Scott E. Preece)
Subject: Re: what *I* would do with Wilbur.

From: Charles Peyton Taylor <>
| 1) Add the class attribute It doesn't hurt ...
| 2) Add the <acronym> element. Again, it doesn't...
| 3) Add <Span>  This allows us to experiment...
| 4) Make <center> deprecated.
| 5) Add Underline. Practically everyone supports it now ...

I would take a little different approach.  Finish up the 3.2 spec,
basically just as it is, and start it through IETF as a consensus
specification of what existing practice is.

Get internal agreement on and issue a draft for HTML 3.5, defined as
3.2 plus what I think is relatively uncontroversial new stuff (mostly
from 3.0):

	- the full tables spec
	- CLASS and ID on most elements
	- the RANGE and upload INPUT elements
	- NOWRAP on P elements
	- SRC attribute for graphics on headings, HR, lists, and buttons
	- add CAPTION and CREDIT elements as sub-elements of DIV, so
	  they can be wrapped around OBJECTs, IMGs, TABLES, or whatever
	- DIGRESSION (like FN in 3.0, using CLASS attribute to subclass)
	- the STYLE element (with just TYPE and TITLE attributes)

and move this to the IETF as soon as possible.  I suspect the vendors
could be convinced to do this in relatively short order...

scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550
internet mail: