Re: HTML 3.xx & scalability

Walter Ian Kaye (boo@best.com)
Thu, 9 May 1996 02:40:38 -0700

Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 02:40:38 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: boo@best.com (Walter Ian Kaye)
Subject: Re: HTML 3.xx & scalability

At 5:05p 05/09/96, andreas@wni.co.jp wrote:

>at the moment users can set their own default font size- but what does this
>mean to the page layout when for example picture- sizes are staying the
>same!!

I rely on <table> support to ensure that my text elements remain properly=
 positioned relative to graphics, regardless of font size. As an example:

  +----------------------------------+---------------------+
  |  _____________________________   '                     |
  | |                             |  '     Welcome to      |
  | |                             |  '                     |
  | |                             |  + - - - - - - - - - - +
  | |                             |  '                     |
  | |        ( graphic )          |  '      Walter's       |
  | |                             |  '                     |
  | |                             |  + - - - - - - - - - - +
  | |                             |  '                     |
  | |_____________________________|  '        Web!         |
  |                                  '                     |
  +----------------------------------+---------------------+

Just don't do like Microsoft does on their web site, where they hard-code=
 table width to 745 pixels. Yeesh! 472 pixels should be the hardcoding=
 maximum, and let tables *optionally* resize beyond that. I guess MS figures=
 that everyone uses 800x600 with windows maximized. Well, I have 832x624,=
 and do not care to have my eyes traverse such a huge distance when reading=
 a single page; the screen real estate is best used for multiple windows of=
 ergonomic widths. But enough about my pet peeves... ;)

>and even then: a user defined font size of <10pt> for example will not be
>displayed in real 10pt size on the monitor if the pixelsize does not equal
>1pt.=20
>this is a big problem in the WIN, unix world where screen resolutions are
>usually higher than in the MAC world (72dpi is quite the common standard).

In the Mac world 72dpi is actually a "constant" in the QuickDraw imaging=
 system, which is why screens are normally set to that -- it's what makes it=
 WYSIWYG!
I created a calibration GIF and placed it on my web site, reachable via the=
 large "Viewing Notes..." button link on my home page

>any hints and proposals welcome,

Maybe a META tag to indicate to the browser how the page author's system was=
 calibrated (assuming it even was, hehehe). This information could be used=
 along with user preferences (such as scaling factor, threshholds, etc) to=
 determine wheter to scale part or all of a page, or whatever.

-Walter