Re: HTML 3.2

Mike Wexler (mwexler@frame.com)
Tue, 07 May 1996 15:10:17 -0700

To: Charles Peyton Taylor <CTaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2
Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 15:10:17 -0700
From: Mike Wexler <mwexler@frame.com>

Everybody seems to airing their favorite gripe about HTML 3.2, so here is
line.

In http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Wilbur, the DIV element is defined as:
   DIV document divisions
      Requres start and end tags. It is used with the ALIGN
      attribute to set the text alignment of the block of
      elements it contains. ALIGN can be one of LEFT, CENTER, or
      RIGHT.

Why is there no mentioning of its structural purpose of grouping together
related elements.

The FrameMaker HTML Export facility I'm working on will create documents
like

  <HTML>
   <HEAD>...</HEAD>
   <BODY>
    <DIV CLASS="Chapter">
     <DIV CLASS="Section">
     </DIV>
     <DIV CLASS="Section">
     </DIV>
    </DIV>
    <DIV CLASS="Chapter">
     <DIV CLASS="Section">
     </DIV>
     <DIV CLASS="Section">
     </DIV>
    </DIV>
   </BODY>
  </HTML>

There is no alignment implied. Am I missing something.
Is this reasonable HTML 3.2 markup?

By the way, is there an HTML 3.2 spec? I found a DTD and a features
at a glance document, but no spec.