Re: Checking for Navigator 2.0?

Trevor McFarland (trevor@townweb.com)
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:31:26 -0500

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:31:26 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Trevor McFarland <trevor@townweb.com>
Subject: Re: Checking for Navigator 2.0?

At 4:33 AM 3/26/96, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> At 3:08a 03/26/96, S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk wrote:
> >Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
> >>
> >> I would like to have my home page (index.html) check for Netscape 2.0, and
> >> automatically redirect to a frames page (main.html) if Nav2 is detected.
> >>
> >> How do I do this? META tag? CGI? JavaScript? Has anyone done this?
> >
> >Is this not the the purpose of the <noframes> section of a framed page?
> >That would give you the ability to handle any frames capable browser.
>

> Hmm... put the contents of my index.html into the <noframes> section of my
> main.html, and then replace the contents of index.html with the contents of
> main.html... I guess that would work too. Extra bandwidth, but then I
> suppose the amount of time to redirect and the amount of time to download
> the extra bytes in a "catch-all" file will probably be close enough that I
> wouldn't really gain much speed or efficiency or visitor goodwill by having
> separate files, huh... hmm... maybe my brain was working backwards. Well,
> frames can do that to a person -- this was my first plunge into it. :-)

A cgi script on your index.html file should bog your server.  Just edit
your index.html
file to have a <NOFRAMES> around current content, and add outside of this a
<FRAMESET>
sending frames-capable browsers (all 1 of them!) to a set of frame-oriented
files.  The
non-frame browsers should not see the frames-oriented content.

>     Walter Ian Kaye <boo@best.com>     Programmer - Excel, AppleScript,
>           Mountain View, CA                         ProTERM, FoxPro, HTML
>  http://www.natural-innovations.com/     Musician - Guitarist, Songwriter

Trevor McFarland
trevor@townweb.com
Webmaster