Re: Checking for Navigator 2.0?

Walter Ian Kaye (boo@best.com)
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:33:17 -0800

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:33:17 -0800
To: www-html@w3.org
From: boo@best.com (Walter Ian Kaye)
Subject: Re: Checking for Navigator 2.0?

At 3:08a 03/26/96, S.N.Brodie@ecs.soton.ac.uk wrote:
>Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>>
>> I would like to have my home page (index.html) check for Netscape 2.0, and
>> automatically redirect to a frames page (main.html) if Nav2 is detected.
>>
>> How do I do this? META tag? CGI? JavaScript? Has anyone done this?
>
>Is this not the the purpose of the <noframes> section of a framed page?
>That would give you the ability to handle any frames capable browser.

Hmm... put the contents of my index.html into the <noframes> section of my
main.html, and then replace the contents of index.html with the contents of
main.html... I guess that would work too. Extra bandwidth, but then I
suppose the amount of time to redirect and the amount of time to download
the extra bytes in a "catch-all" file will probably be close enough that I
wouldn't really gain much speed or efficiency or visitor goodwill by having
separate files, huh... hmm... maybe my brain was working backwards. Well,
frames can do that to a person -- this was my first plunge into it. :-)